How much is a Penalty Fare?
A Penalty Fare works out to either £20 or twice the full single fare to the next station at which your train stops (whichever is the greater amount).
In addition, if you choose to continue on the train after paying the Penalty Fare, you may be charged the full single fare to your destination station.
When can I be charged with a Penalty Fare?
You may have to pay a Penalty Fare if you:
- travel without a valid ticket
- are unable to produce an appropriate Railcard for a discount ticket
- travel in First Class accommodation with a Standard ticket
- are aged 16 or over, travelling on a child rate ticket
- travel beyond the destination on your ticket.
More about Penalty Fares
We’ve prepared a leaflet with a full explanation of Penalty Fares along with a map that shows the stations that are exempt from this scheme.